sample house question

Home Forums 1. General Questions sample house question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Archie Dunbar

John,

Thanks for supplying your sample house file. It is very helpful. My expertise is cabinets but I have been trying to understand sketchup for the purpose of my own house design. Had a question about the structure of the sample house but then thought that perhaps it is not intended as a structurally correct house example of a house that could be built but just as an exercise for seeing how the estimator works? I have been struggling with avoiding the need for a ridge beam in my own design and the need for either, rafter joist, truss system or ridge beam.

Archie

John Brock
    Keymaster

Hi Archie-

Yes, since my typical custom homes are quite large, I wanted to create a sample file to keep file size down. As you may know, there are ridge boards and ridge beams – two different things. A ridge board may be used if you use collar ties to keep the walls from moving. You can avoid the collar ties to get a cathedral ceiling if you use a ridge beam – designed to carry the load of half of the rafter span each side. I wrestle with it on certain jobs. I am using a parallel chord roof truss on a job right now to avoid the ridge beam (long span and no post under either end). Please feel free to email me with any questions about Estimator directly – john@estimatorforsketchup.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.