Profile Builder Trim and Layers

Home Forums 3. Layers Profile Builder Trim and Layers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Caponigro

I guess I’m not clear on why each trim profile has to be on its own layer and how that relates to the linear foot takeoff.

John Brock
    Keymaster

Hi Christopher-

1) I use a different layer for each profile so that I can use Estimator’s Layers tab to assign costs based on attributes (like lineal footage) of that layer. For example, if I model a footing on a layer called FOOTING – I can then select the item, choose the attribute of FEET and add a cost per foot for labor. I may then ADD ASSOCIATED COST (+) and choose attribute of (YARD3 = CY) for the quantity of concrete. You can add as many additional costs as you like – you might use the FEET to calculate amount of rebar for the footing, etc.

2) The most important reason for it to be on Layers, is that once you have added these “typical” costs to a Layer and save it in your TEMPLATE file, then the next time you model a footing in a new job, your price is instantly provided in Estimator! You can edit the unit rates if need be, but it will save a lot of time for future models.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Simonson
    Participant

John,

Can a profile builder assembly be made to group each layer separately after drawing it, instead of one big group or component?
    For example an assembly containing a 6×16 footing – 6×24 foundation wall – 3 rows of rebar – 1/2″ J bolt – PT Plate – Foam sill
    comes out as a group instead of separate layer for each profile.
    Or would I have to draw each profile separate to get it on a different layer?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.