Framing Tool

Home Forums 1. General Questions Framing Tool

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Terry Gillan
    Participant

Hi John,

This tool looks and feels awesome. can I add external cladding as a material similar to drywall, the material comes in 4.2m lengths and is 170mm high and 20mm thick. I would assume that I just paint the cladding on, but just checking if there is a better way.

Terry

John Brock
    Keymaster

Thanks Terry! I plan on adding additional layers for cladding (essentially another wallboard on top of sheathing for example), as well as insulation and other features, but simply had to get V1 out there before I can afford to add anything else. Primary focus was on making it work with Estimator. I typically add my veneers on top of the sheathing (add trim corners, window trim, etc., then create faces between and push/pull, texture, group, etc. Then I use the SF of the texture I chose (carefully texturing ONE face only) – all the trim is done with Profile Builder (I use individual layers for trim (for takeoff) and group the trim layers to control vis).

You could simply edit the face of the sheathing you use (edit wall group until you drill into the sheathing layer and texture the outside face of the sheathing) – you could use the Area of the sheathing for takeoff of sheathing/housewrap, then use the Material SF (texture) for siding.

keep the comments coming!

Terry Gillan
    Participant

Hi John,

Moving to walls, I get that you need to use the move to in the tool, and that works great for length and width. However, if you need to move vertically is their options to

1. Move a wall up and down without changing the height, i.e. just want to move the entire wall up 100mm
    2. Change the height of the wall, i.e. I am not sure what the end height of a wall is going to be, so I draw it in at say 2400mm. Then when after working out the beams above i now need to increase the wall to 2500mm. Can this be adjusted by using the tools?

Thanks

Terry

Terry Gillan
    Participant

Layers, can you allocate layers to the framing?

Groups, does it group the walls?

John Brock
    Keymaster

Terry-

To move a wall vertically or horizontally, right-click > move/resize framer wall > you will see yellow grips at each end and either side of middle > use these middle grips to move horizontally or vertically – tip – use a guide to reference/snap the move.
    To change wall height, simply right-click > edit framer wall > change the height of the wall.

When you create a wall, it creates it as a group. When you add an opening, the king studs, jacks, headers, cripples are grouped inside the wall group.

The layers are assigned internally by the code and are not customizable. Perhaps in the future I might be able to get the programmer to do that, I will ask, but I needed it to work with Estimator, so that is why each type is layered by code to differentiate.

I did the layers like this – plates (except for treated), sills, header top and bottom, go on PLATE layer, Studs go on STUDS layer and named by height of wall so you know what stud length to use. Header goes on layer Header, jacks and cripples go on the stud layer.

Terry Gillan
    Participant

Working really well, your tool is about to go to good use and just about ready to place an order for framing material from my model using the tool. Also, in this case, the chippies are using these shop drawings to frame off as well. The architectural drawings are that poor that I needed to redraw, flush out all the blunders and use the buildability model to build off.

John Brock
    Keymaster

Awesome! Remember that cripples and jacks go on STUD layer, so you can choose which stud size to use and total lineal footage of all and add waste, etc. Also, all horizontal members go on Plates or Headers layers.

I did a YouTube clip on edit walls, thanks for prompting me to do it! https://youtu.be/fUEfdgxM2RQ

Terry Gillan
    Participant

I’ll post a copy of the model might be good to see and use as one done by a novice! flush out some errors i am sure

Terry Gillan
    Participant

John,

Whats the best way to do the wall junctions in the midspan of a wall, can I upload a screenshot in the forum?

John Brock
    Keymaster

Terry,
    One of the start and end post options is T-post. Use these at intersections. Two things to note, it will not delete studs in the intersecting walls (if in same location), and T studs will be size of wall being modeled, which may be different size than perpendicular wall

Terry Gillan
    Participant

Ok, that works, wouldn’t believe it I am connecting into uneven walls!!!

Terry Gillan
    Participant

Hi John,

Door Opening Tool

How do you change the Header Section in the Door Properties?

Terry

Terry Gillan
    Participant

Can you do angle walls in your frames?

Terry

John Brock
    Keymaster

Terry-

First – to customize your headers, choose the Configure Materials icon in the toolstrip (eye dropper), then choose Header and Sections (metric in your case I assume) – you may then customize the various sizes you like, then Save.

Second – angled walls are tricky and a known limitation. What I have been doing is modeling the walls from corner to corner in the angle, add my openings and that is usually “close enough” – If I need precise or exact cuts, I have to edit the walls manually, just remember if you edit the wall manually (group), then IF you edit the wall again using Framer, it will revert back to Framer parameters. I am open to suggestions on how to improve this issue.

Terry Gillan
    Participant

Hi John,

With the lumber tool, can you adjust the timber, ie. lengthen or shorten once in place?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.