Component name in report

Home Forums 2. Components Component name in report

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ORGANICMOTION
    Participant

Is there a way to generate the component name into the report? im using this for landscape design and have all my plants as components, already named. From what I can tell is that to get the name of the component i have to write it manually into the ‘description’ box. It would be great not have to do this… wondering if this can be done?

thanks! 🙂

John Brock
    Keymaster

Hello and thanks for the inquiry. In my first version, that is how I had it function BUT I quickly discovered that I was creating many variations of the same product (component if you will) – for example, in framing a house, I may have 10 or more variations of a 2x10x16 rafter, for example, and the report would have ten entries of the same product to order, so I added the “description” field and IF a user enters the same cost data and description name, it totals them into one on the report. I realize this is not how some may want it to function. When I run into this situation, I copy and paste the component name into the description field (when you are in Components tab and select a component, its name will appear in the Component box – I copy/paste it into the description box) – an extra step I admit, but you do not have to type it in manually.

It is a good idea though to look into a fix for this – perhaps we could add a checkbox to “use component name in description” – I could add that to the requested features if that would work for you. Please feel free to email me directly at any time with questions – john@estimatorforsketchup.com

Francis

Is it possible to have different costs and descriptions for dynamic components. I have dynamic components of cattle slats various widths and would like to output the widths (in description) and prices automatically.

John Brock
    Keymaster

That is a great question. I know you can assign pricing to all nested components, which I use quite often. I do not use a lot of dynamic components personally but have wondered if it would work. I downloaded a dynamic cabinet component from the warehouse. You can change its attributes from 24″ cabinet to 18″ cabinet. I was assuming that I could assign a price to the individual selections (like a 24″ drawer and 18″ drawer being two different components), but when I looked into it (changed the size of the cabinet from 24 to 18), the component name stayed the same but its size changed (therefore I could not assign a different price). I am very interested in this though and would love to make it work for you if possible. Perhaps your dynamic component may work – would you mind sharing a sample file with me? If you email me a file to john@estimatorforsketchup.com, I will certainly look into it – please give me a description of what you want to accomplish with the sample and I will see what can be done!

miroslav buzik
    Participant

Hi again how did it go with the dinamic cabinets? Did you find a solution yet?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.